Is Biologique Recherche Cruelty Free?

I've never been more interested in a single skincare item than I have of the infamous Biologique Recherche Lotion P50. There doesn't seem to be any information on the cruelty free status of the brand. Although the brand has blown up in the skincare community and has been around for a while, it seems to a smaller luxury skincare brand so harder to find information on.

I emailed the company and they were wonderful to deal with. They answered my questions with ease!

Biologique Recherche offers its customers high quality products while remaining cruelty-free. We made the decision to not test our cosmetic products on animals 30 years ago, well before the implementation of European regulations concerning animal testing. Further, we do not test our raw materials on animals either. Since Biologique Recherche products are currently sold in Mainland China, we are hoping for a rapid evolution of the Chinese regulations as Biologique Recherche remains strongly against all forms of animal testing. Most of our products are currently channeled via Hong Kong, where a cruelty-free regulation is in place.

From this email, I gather that the company doesn't personally test on animals but does sell their products in mainland China, a place where the government requires imported skincare to be tested on animals. Sadly, that means that the brand willingly allows and probably pays money for their products to be tested there. This is unknown territory to me that leaves me full of questions. I don't know what type of animal was tested on. I don't know how frequently the animals are tested on. Is every product they sell tested on an animal once or is multiple time through the years? From my research, animals are then killed after the testing is completed. It's all very stupid and a money grab on China's part. BUT I do see some exciting developments in China's future that points towards brands getting around this stupid law. Until then, i'm holding out on buying. skincare*

5 comments :

  1. What a misleading response full of double-speak and contradictions, starting with the first sentence. No they are not “remaining cruelty free” by selling their products in China. In fact, by selling in mainland China they are demonstrating what a low priority being cruelty free is. What does it matter what animal is tested on? All animals suffer and feel pain. But most likely it’s bunnies, as that’s one of the most common test subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding what animals they test on, it's often beagles. I foster dogs and work with an organization that rescues animals from animal testing. These dogs often go blind if they are lucky, most end up euthenized once blind because they are no longer useful for testing. It's pretty terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Beagles as in the dog breed.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I heard that too, because they're so gentle. It breaks my heart, I grew up with one. They use Beagles in Canada too, a video came out showing them being punched in the face by the workers and the types of experiments they do on them. I think some was for pharmaceuticals and some for ingredients like the kind in beauty products. I think for China, it's small animals like mice but who knows. They don't think of cats and dogs like we do here.

      Delete

My Instagram

Copyright © VERADESSA. Made with by OddThemes